Add This To Del.icio.us Share on Facebook StumbleUpon This Add to Technorati Digg This
Finding the right domain name can be a tricky business, and indeed, can mean
the difference between success and failure in the online marketplace. As such,
it is important to consider the following before choosing a domain name:
• FOR NEW SITES: Depending on your branding angle, pick a domain name
that is either highly brandable (meaning that it can be easily and positively
associated with your product or service) or has your primary keywords in it.
Use a short and memorable domain name. It is fine if it does not have your
keywords in it if it is memorable. For serious, long-term websites, a memorable
domain name will be one of the key ingredients to success.
• If you are going to be working in competitive fields, or if you will have large
sites, you may want to use a different domain for each different language you
Examples of domain names I own: webnol.in, thesarkarinaukriblog.in, and blogsarkarinaukri.in
Domain Registration & Hosting
Once you have selected a domain name, you must make sure that it is
available, and then register it. After your domain name has been registered,
you must find a reliable host for your website.
• Register your domain with an ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers) accredited registrar. I use GoDaddy.
• Register as a .com if possible, if you have a global market. If you cannot get a
.com, but a great .net or .org is still available, it might be worth it to register
one of those instead of registering a longer (and less memorable) .com domain.
• If you are targeting a specific country or language, register a domain name in
that country’s top-level domain designation (e.g., buy a co.uk website for a
U.K.-targeted site). Also buy the .com version of your domain name and point
it at your country-specific location.
• Oftentimes certain directories and search engines will either be biased toward
local sites will or only let local sites in the index. “Local” may mean ending
with a local domain and/or being hosted on a server in that country.
• Host your site with a reliable host. I recommend DreamHost orHostgator.
• For dynamic sites, make sure your host supports the technology you will be
using (such as ASP or PHP) before spending money.
For Further Reading,